Sunday, November 21, 2010

Teacher!

Tomorrow, one of my dreams is coming true!  I will officially be a teacher!  It has only been about 5 months since I decided to put the business world behind me and pursue my dream to work with kids!  Being a teacher's aid in the 2-yr old room has been rewarding, but at the same time I have yearned to be in control of my own class!  This day has come much sooner than I thought it would!  Tomorrow, I will walk into work as the teacher of the 1-yr old room!

I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit nervous at the thought of running my own  class!  I think the most challenging part will be living up to the expectations of their parents and having to discuss any concerns I might have in their child's development.  This room is also very challenging because they are not able to verbalize their wants and needs with words (unlike the 2-yr olds).  Their communication consists of laughter, crying and screaming. This communication style can be very stressful when they are all screaming and crying for different reasons at the same time, but I feel up to the challenge! There is one child that is able to use sign language...which I know VERY little :(  I told this child's mother I need to learn more signs, but was only discouraged when she said every childs signs are a little different and hard to disquinguish unless you have taught them the signs.  Maybe her mother will give me a brief tutorial on her particular signs?

I am a little sad to be leaving the 2-yr olds because I have developed bonds with all of them.  My heart melted the other day when one of the little boys was laying down for nap and I was just gathing my stuff to leave for lunch while the other teacher put the kids to sleep.  He said "Miss Amy".  I said yes, and bent down and rubbed his forehead. He looked me in the eyes and said "I love you, I love you so much".  I just about cried!  It was so sincere and so precious!  My heart melted.  There have been so many funny and sweet moments in the 2-yr old room that I have yet to document in writing...but I need to!

I must say "Thank You" to my wonderful husband for supporting my dreams and allowing me to follow though with them.  I am happier than I have ever been in life and in work!  Love you Bebe!

Hannah, Cruz, Vincent, River & Max....here I come!  (My 1-yr old class :)

1 comment:

  1. YAY!!! Congratulations - that is SO SO exciting :)

    I took two years of sign language in college and have already started signing with Canon so I'd be happy to give you a quick lesson. But that mom is right, because baby's fine motor skills develop at different rates, they're not able to sign "perfectly" so each child kind of has their own interpretation. But I could give you the basics and then you can work with your student to figure out his specific variations.

    ReplyDelete